[Edu-sig] Learn to Program in Ten Years

Dethe Elza delza at livingcode.org
Thu Dec 30 06:55:05 CET 2004

>> It is interpreted when given untyped variable information, and
>> compiled
>> when given typed variables.  And works nicely with inline C code.
>>
>> Wouldn't that be nice if Python...
>>

> Declaring types really pins you down and suddenly, it's really
> not Python.

Well, Pyrex is basically Python that you can mix in optional types and
inline C code, which makes it really easy to a) create Python
extensions which run really fast, and b) create Python bindings for
libraries coded in C.  That's about all I really need any optional
types for, and Pyrex seems to be a good fit.

Not sure if someone has already mentioned this, as I've been off list
and off-line for awhile, just catching up now.

> PyPy is an attempt to deepen the Python layer.  You could also
> design a chip that executes Python byte codes natively somehow --
> that'd be
> interesting to think about.

PyPy uses a similar approach to Pyrex, called Psyco, which compiles
directly to 80x86 machine code (Pyrex compiles to cross-platform C
code).  This allows PyPy to attempt to be faster than C-Python by
creating compiler optimizations.  Not sure what the PyPy story is for
non-x86 platforms.  There is also a project to recreate Python on top
of Smalltalk, by L. Peter Deutch, which he expects to be faster than
C-Python (and if anyone can do it, he could).

Nice to see y'all again.  Happy New Year (or Gnu Year?).

--Dethe

I can't watch television without praying for nuclear holocaust.  --Bill
Hicks