[Edu-sig] Learn to Program in Ten Years

Kirby Urner urnerk at qwest.net
Mon Dec 27 02:58:02 CET 2004

> In short, Bruce's interest in VPython is narrow.
>
> A good part of that interest, I am afraid, may have been satisfied when
> he *got* his funding.
>
> Not a nice thing to say, but the man has gotten to me, big time.
>
> Art

OK.  Unlike in the Disney case (Alan Kay, Squeak, SmallTalk et al), I'm not
moved to define my own position vis-à-vis the VPython enterprise.  I've not
investigated, don't have a lot of eggs in that basket.  I reserve the right
to see the matter differently in future, but I think you're certainly
entitled to the judgments you've reached (you care a lot about these things,
and have a definite stake, having done lots of work on Pygeo), plus I'm in
no mood to play defense lawyer for your opponent.  I'm sure he's quite
capable of defending himself (or, if not, then not).[1]

Also, I don't think it's off-topic or mean-spirited to share assessments
such as yours above on edu-sig.  I'm not a listowner and don't set policies,
but I think the exchange of opinions, in a frank and open manner, is
healthy.  I wouldn't condone a stupid flame war, but as long as we're
talking over issues of substance, that have some bearing on Python in the
education sphere, I think it's topical.

Just my opinion.  Self-servingly, I'm thereby excusing some of my own
outbursts as well.  But I'm also opening the door to others, and saying they
shouldn't fear retribution in the form of being banned or ostracized.
Again, I say this in no particularly official capacity -- just giving my
sense of what feels appropriate to me.  Others may differ (and I welcome
their alternative takes).

Kirby

[1] Aside:  that reminds me of a funny story.  I asked my daughter to take
out the music CD in the player and try another one that was more topical
(more Christmas-y in this case).  Then I said:  "but if we don't like it, we
might ask you to take it out too" -- maybe implying that she might get some
blame for another bad choice.  She said, referring to the CD:  "hey, I'm not
trying to be this thing's lawyer or anything."  I thought that was funny.
She's only 10.