[Edu-sig] Learn to Program in Ten Years

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sat Dec 25 22:26:04 CET 2004

Some reality from Peter Norvig:

http://norvig.com/21-days.html

Other finds from a day of lazy exploration (us Jews have time on
Christmas):

A nice file browser written entirely in Python/pygtk

http://claw3.berlios.de/index.php?page=downloads.html

which tempts me to make exploring pygtk as an alternative to tkinter a
priority,  In fact I started a bit.

And -

So that's probably what Prasan was driving at:

Boost *does* have an automated code generation tool:

Pyste

http://www.boost.org/libs/python/pyste/index.html

though I am not sure why that disqualifies Boost for his teaching
purposes.  VPython's  Boost code looks quite hand-coded.

For myself, Pyste might actually be sane way to start understanding
extension writing with Boost.

And non-Python (mostly) but very interesting for those of us who like to
work with graphics/3d with some good numerics behind it:

"""
Lush is an object-oriented programming language designed for
researchers, experimenters, and engineers interested in large-scale
numerical and graphic applications.
"""

http://lush.sourceforge.net/index.html

It is a Lisp-like dialect with an interactive shell, but can generate C
code, and has developed interfaces to major multi-media libraries like
openGL,SDL,ALSA. Been around a while, is mature.

It is interpreted when given untyped variable information, and compiled
when given typed variables.  And works nicely with inline C code.

Wouldn't that be nice if Python...

Not totally off-topic in any case since it does have bindings to the
Python C API. The demos are written for Python2.2.  I actually got into
getting them to run on Python2.3 (change LONG_LONG to PY_LONG_LONG
(thank you Google) - but when it got to trying to fix error messages it
was generating related to _PyObject_GC_UnTrack I threw in the towel.
Especially since I am not sure where the Lush/Python link is supposed
to get you.

__
A little effort at sharing my finds of the day.

I hope no one objects.