[Edu-sig] Re: Pygeo, platforms, wx and Tk

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sun Dec 19 14:44:49 CET 2004

Scott write -

> Arthur wrote:
> ControlPanel...
> >>
> >>Hmmm.... Outside of playing with setattr, why not use:
> >>     Display.control_panel = self
> > On the other hand I am sometimes forced into some ingenuity in the use
> > of what I *do* know, and feel I sometimes end up with something that
> > avoids being more occult than necessary - whereas someone more
> > comfortable at those levels may have immediately jumped there for a
> > solution.

> OK, I was doing two things, (1) suggesting another simpler (more
> readable) form, and (2) honestly asking whether this was, in fact,
> a reasonable substitution, or whether there was a consideration
> that I hadn't understood.

I appreciated your comment, and I hope you understand that I was poking fun
at myself, because:

1. Your substation is simpler and more readable.
2. I see no reason it doesn't work exactly as well.
3  My post was patting myself on the back for finding a simple solution to
my problem, when there was an obvious further simplification staring me in
the face, and I was overlooking.

> I always wind up with crappy code on my way to programs I like.
> Writing code, like writing English, is a process of inspiration
> and rework.  I like the process in code, and hate the same process
> for writing English.  Probably for two reasons.

PyGeo is on its eightieth round of refactoring.  In my case the issue is
three fold

1. the normal issues involved in finding one's way to simple, maintainable,
readable and efficient code.

2. I am learning as I go - so I can have code refactored down to nearly its
best form, based on what I know and find that new possibility open up, when
I know more.

3. Python's evolution.  Python2.3, e.g., may well present opportunities to
simplifier the code that was not present in Python2.2.

At my normal billing rates, PyGeo is a $1m project. ;)