[Edu-sig] The power of interactivity

Prasan Samtani samtani at ISI.EDU
Thu Dec 16 19:26:30 CET 2004

> I should introduce you to some of the characters on board edu-sig.

Fascinating stuff, Kirby. Thanks!

Just kicking around some more ideas on Python in education. I am the
assistant for a class on Game Programming, and just got the Python bug when
I started using it for a research project (which hopefully shows up in
PyCon - http://www.tacticallanguage.com). Anyways, I've been thinking of
ways to introduce Python as a model for scripting languages (OK, OK, I know
Python is not a scripting language, but it is most often used as one in the
video game development cycle) for this one semester course. A problem arises
in splitting the limited course time between teaching them 'hard skills'
such as building the bare metal of their 'Game Engine', and soft skills such
as designing a scripting system.

I'd also like the students to write the binding code themselves, not because
I'm a masochist, but because it will be invaluable should they enter the
industry and be in charge of writing a scripting system. My objectives for
introducing Python will be to introduce an appreciation for language design
(our school sticks to C++ for most of the undergraduate coursework), and to
get them thinking about building flexible applications. The one option here
is to write the basic framework myself, including some binding code (that'd
give them a head start, but they'll have to extend the application on both
the C++ and Python side - and that should give them the experience they
need). Has anyone here experimented with using the C++/Python combination as
an example of how one could produce flexible systems (not just for games,
but in general). If so, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks,
Prasan