[Edu-sig] Help Testing IDLE patch

John Zelle john.zelle at wartburg.edu
Thu Dec 16 15:22:02 CET 2004

I think my first reply to this went only to David. For others who might
be interested, here's the scoop.

The problem folks have been having is that IDLE sometimes loses
communication with its subprocess. This can cause IDLE to freeze or be
unable to bring the shell window up because the socket is in use. It's
hard to recreate exactly what does this, as it seems to be a sporadic
(race condition?) problem.

There is a situation where I can reliably cause IDLE to hang. Simply
create a program that has an input statement such as: x = input("Testing ")
Run the program with <F5> and when the prompt "Testing " comes up, close
the shell window to go back to the program window. Usually, this will
hang IDLE. If it doesn't happen the first time, do <F5> - close again.
Versions of IDLE since 1.0 will freeze after 1 or two rounds of this.

My "patch" just does the equivalent of a keyboard interrupt before
closing the shell, since I've found that doing a Ctrl-c before closing
seems to avoid the problem.

BTW, my fix is for IDLE 1.04 shipped with Python 2.3.3. I don't think it
works for IDLE 1.1 in Python 2.4 :-(

--John