[Edu-sig] explaining functions [Possibly OT]

Kirby Urner urnerk at qwest.net
Wed Dec 8 21:21:51 CET 2004

>   >>> def ifthen(p,q):
> 	    return (not p) or q
>
> i.e. (~p | q) <-> (p -> q)
>
>   >>> combos = ((True,True),(True,False),(False,True),(False,False))
>
>   >>> for p,q in combos:
>            print "Inputs:  %s\t%s\tOutput: %s" % (p, q, ifthen(p,q) )
>
>   Inputs:  True	  True	Output: True
>   Inputs:  True	  False	Output: False
>   Inputs:  False	  True	Output: True
>   Inputs:  False	  False	Output: True
>

> Kirby

On more quickie regarding 'functions':  I've got these integrated into a
curriculum outline here:  http://www.4dsolutions.net/ocn/mainoutline.html
You'll see it's pretty traditional, but the context is clearly influenced by
computer science.  I haven't touched this document since Oct 9, 2003 but
still consider it current enough to be useful in the field.