[Edu-sig] comments on Idle and Python

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Wed Dec 8 12:53:32 CET 2004

Toby writes -

>    - The default behavior when press F5 ('run') is to prompt you if you
> want to save a file. I have never seen anyone *not* want to save their
> file in this situation, so the more useful default would be to
> automatically save the file before it is run.

By saying that it is the default indicates, I assume, that you understand
that the behavior you want can be toggled via Options --> Configuration -->
General.

But I agree it is the wrong default.

I believe that Tim Peters has expressed his opinion that the default should
be to save without prompting.

It seems to me it would be an issue only if one lost the "Undo"
functionality after one saved.  But one does not.  You can save, and still
undo changes made before the save.  Which is great, and "state-of-the-art".
Given that, the need *not* to save before a run would seem an unusual
circumstance, and prompting to save a relic of the past.  So yes, it does
seem strange that this is the default behavior.