[Edu-sig] Acadmic gender gap (was Thoughts)

Joseph D. Oldham oldham at centre.edu
Tue Dec 7 05:21:46 CET 2004

I like using John's book, and I have not been following this thread, but I want to respond to what John has said about video games. I have not read the studies showing detrimental effects. I have looked at Gee's "What Video Games have to Teach us about Literacy and Learning" and find some good ideas there. Others have similar points to make. Anecdotal evidence in our house points to some real power in, and some positives from, video games. I've had plenty of (good) students, some women, in the last 5 years who were gamers.

Nor is it just video games that separate boys from girls. For instance, in the past years there have been monumental, well justified efforts to support girls in schools. The school-centered opportunities for girls now versus when I grew up are phenomenal. I have a daughter and I applaud the changes. (In fact those changes could still go further.) I have a son too. I see very little effort having been put toward lifting boys up. His experience is moch more like mine 35 years earlier. (The perception has been they've been on top -- yet they're weaker academically. Check out, for instance, "The Wonder of Boys", Michael Gurian.)

One further difference I see in what my son (the older child) is getting in school versus what I got is the pace of the curriculum. He's doing great. But he's learning more sooner, and started preschool at a younger age. Maybe that isn't all good. Maybe boys, who mature slowly, respond poorly. (Which does not explain why girls don't compute...)

So before I buy into blaming video games for gender gaps, I would like to see a whole lot  more study. We as students of computing should be among the investigators. The technology we study has enabled video games. We should be looking at gaming far beyond simple judgement, and beyond issues of how to code, looking at levels of design and impact as well. Who knows, maybe it would even be a good idea if we played a few games... %^)