[Edu-sig] Computer Hatred

Gerrit Holl gerrit at nl.linux.org
Wed Sep 24 15:56:22 EDT 2003

Shelley Walsh wrote:
> Subject: [Edu-sig] Computer Hatred

After reading your e-mail message, I think a better subject would read:
Computer illiteracy.

> Basically the discovery that I am making over and over is that students that
> have trouble with just the kinds of mathematical topics that I would have
> thought some experience with Python would help with, are even more terrified
> of computers than they are of mathematics.

> It isn't just Python, either, for all the talk about use of computers in the
> mathematics classroom as dumbing down, my recent experience is that students
> find it harder with computers rather than easier.

Since 6 weeks, I am a physics student and I have a lot of Calculus. Part of
my Calculus course is an introduction to Maple. I quickly saw that Maple
would really be able to help me a lot, but even for me (being experienced
with Python and computers in general), it is a large barrier to type some
integral from my Calculus textbook into Maple in order to check whether it
gives the same result as I calculated. This is because it is so new: I am
not used to it. At the start, it is hard indeed, because it is not
intuitive. Instead of using Maple to solve the Maple exercises, some of
my co-students used their TI-83 calculater to do so. This illustartes the
same reflex exists at a 'higher' level. I think it is a temporary reflex,
solvable by doing more exercises, and maybe doing a few steps back.

> I had statistics students
> who even in a distance education class where they were supposed to submit
> their assignments on Excel spreadsheets, would go so far as to submit
> something that was in tabular form in a textbox carefully using the space
> bar to get things to line up correctly. I had several others who would type
> without the = sign almost exactly the calculations that Excel would have
> done for them in a cell, and then repeat the same keystrokes in their
> calculators, and then type the answer displayed in the calculator.

I don't think this as anything to do with computer hatred or computer fear.
It is simpler than that: it is computer ignorance.

> I am ideally very attracted to the ideas that Kirby has about integrating
> mathematics and programming, but my recent experience is suggesting caution.
> I am very much interested in your opinions about this.

A problem with using computers and programming in education is that
typically, a lot of differences exist between the students pre-knowledge.
This is especially true in poorer socio-economic areas of society.
For people (for me at least) grown up in the "West", it is almost
unbelievable that an adult person does not know about computers, but
a few years ago the former Dutch prime minister turned out not to know
how to use the computer mouse. If students who do not have a computer at
home, nor have ever used any, are told to go programming, it is a
natural reaction to have fear for this. It is simply 10 steps too far.

yours,
Gerrit Holl.

--
142. If a woman quarrel with her husband, and say: "You are not
congenial to me," the reasons for her prejudice must be presented. If she