[Edu-sig] GvR ready for prime time...

Hans Fangohr H.FANGOHR at soton.ac.uk
Fri Oct 10 03:21:08 EDT 2003

Hi Jeffrey,

very nice indeed. I pointed some people working on genetic algorithms
to this. They currently use a 'language' dominated by integer numbers
to code actions of an object similar to 'Guido the Robot'. I think
they might profit from using GvR, or at least being inspired by it.

Cheers,

Hans

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Jeffrey Elkner wrote:

> I just finished using Guido van Robot (http://gvr.sf.net) with my intro
> classes this year, and it was a whole heap of fun!
>
> GvR is a "Pythonic" improvement of the teaching language Karel the
> Robot, and using it has once again renewed my appreciation for the
> Pythonic way of doing things.
>
> GvR was developed by my former students, Paul Carduner, Donald
> Oellerich, and Waseem Daher, under the guidance of Python programmer
> Steve Howell.  It has matured to the point where it is robust enough for
> classroom use (it didn't crash once with 40 students using it for two
> weeks, and we discovered only one small display bug, which Paul has
> already fixed).
>
> And thanks to Roger Frank's excellent lessons
> (http://gvr.sourceforge.net/lessons/rfrank), it comes with teaching
> materials ready to use.
>
> It does not currently run under Windows (wxPython display issues), but
> we have plans to fix that this year.
>
> May others find as fun to use as I have!
>
> --
> Jeffrey Elkner <jeff at elkner.net>
> Open Book Project <http://ibiblio.org/obp>

Dr Hans Fangohr

Computational Engineering & Design Research Group
School of Engineering Sciences
University of Southampton
Southampton, SO17 1BJ
United Kingdom