[Edu-sig] GvR ready for prime time...

Jeffrey Elkner jeff at elkner.net
Thu Oct 9 18:20:09 EDT 2003

I just finished using Guido van Robot (http://gvr.sf.net) with my intro
classes this year, and it was a whole heap of fun!

GvR is a "Pythonic" improvement of the teaching language Karel the
Robot, and using it has once again renewed my appreciation for the
Pythonic way of doing things.

GvR was developed by my former students, Paul Carduner, Donald
Oellerich, and Waseem Daher, under the guidance of Python programmer
Steve Howell.  It has matured to the point where it is robust enough for
classroom use (it didn't crash once with 40 students using it for two
weeks, and we discovered only one small display bug, which Paul has
already fixed).

And thanks to Roger Frank's excellent lessons
(http://gvr.sourceforge.net/lessons/rfrank), it comes with teaching
materials ready to use.

It does not currently run under Windows (wxPython display issues), but
we have plans to fix that this year.

May others find as fun to use as I have!

--
Jeffrey Elkner <jeff at elkner.net>
Open Book Project <http://ibiblio.org/obp>