[Edu-sig] Fw: [Visualpython-users] VPython and LiveZope

Dethe Elza dethe.elza at blastradius.com
Mon Oct 6 15:34:16 EDT 2003

Arthur wrote:
> Python for the Fun of It
> and
> Python in Education
> are in my mind both worthwhile - but quite distinct - endeavors.
[...]
> Since I am actually quite serious about exploring this, I do need to
> ask...
> Are we on the same page - to a reasonable extent?

To a reasonable extent.  I am not teaching python right now, but I
would like to organize a school club or after-school activity for kids
who are interested in learning more about computers.  I think that
PyGame will be a big part of that.  My daughter is also getting to be
old enough to try her hand at simple programming, so we are trying to
design a game together.  Games tend to push the envelope of computing,
especially for user interfaces, and nearly every aspect of computer
science must be addressed in the context of a game, so they are great
learning tools.  And there is nothing like games to hold attention or
motivate kids.

All that said, I certainly understand the constraints that educators
face working within the school system, and I don't envy them.

> Bruce Sherwood
>>> Your development may be very important, because many people have
>>> wanted
>>> to be able to run VPython programs in a browser. Is that what you
>>> have achieved? Can this work in other browsers?
>
> chu-ching huang
>> I purpose to integrate the Vpython codes into Zope server but no
>> achieved.
>
> Is chu-ching saying that he can web enable VPython by a patch to Zope?
> Me want!

I seriously doubt that this is what he is saying.  Embedding VPython
into the Zope server could allow 3D visualization of server logs, but
would have *no* effect on the browser.  OK, that's not entirely
true--VPython can generate 2D snapshots and serve those over the
server, or perhaps generate VRML renderings?  But embedding even a
simple 3D rendering engine into a browser is an extremely hairy
endeavor.  We are still a long way from useful 3D on the web.

--Dethe