[Edu-sig] Fw: [Visualpython-users] VPython and LiveZope

Dethe Elza delza at blastradius.com
Fri Oct 3 13:37:07 EDT 2003

Arthur wrote:

> The only problem I see with a bootable CD is that it must provide the
> apps
> as well as the infrastructure.  So that in putting it together someone
> needs
> to either exercise some editorial control - and deal with the flak
> that that
> might entail, or else throw in the kitchen sink.  The kitchen sink
> might end
> up being confusing, and of uneven quality.

I think the kitchen sink approach is good, with some serious attention
given to presentation, layout of desktop icons, menus, etc.  Put it all
in and give emphasis to the more polished work.

> And ...  what I didn't try to do when I booted from Freeduc is write
> and
> save a script.  How is that handled?  Is the hard disk file system
> mounted?

I believe that the hard drive *can* be mounted, or you can use
FTP/WebDAV etc. for saving work.  The solution used to be to save your
work on a floppy, now it seems to be to use a networked drive.

> If you can't wrtie and save a Python script, I am not sure it is a
> great
> solution, beyond  - as you may be suggesting - as a form of a demo CD.

Yes, that is more limiting, although you could still play pygames %-)

> With those concerns put on the table - I think its a great general
> concept.
> Particularly because it seems realistically doable without anyone
> quitting
> their jobs (and living on grits) or waiting 18 months to hear about a
> grant
> approval.

And there are some ISO images which contain very good starts on this.
Could you post URLs to some of the resources you've explored?  How does
one modify an ISO image to create a new bootable CD?

--Dethe