[Edu-sig] open source educational programs

Doug Holton d.holton at vanderbilt.edu
Sun Nov 9 15:29:18 EST 2003

> wondering if there are other good and easy to use programs for other
> school activities such as test writing (kids taking test on computers),
> grades etc. Just teacher administration needs. I'm a teacher of middle
> school and would like to have the kids doing more computer based pre
> and post test etc. <br>

For test writing its probably easiest just to use one of those websites
that let teachers create quizzes for their students:
http://www.google.com/search?q=online+quiz+generator

For something that runs as a desktop application, Hot Potatoes looks
good.  It is free but not open source:
http://web.uvic.ca/hrd/hotpot/index.htm

For open source educational apps, see: http://richtech.ca/seul/
EClass.Builder is one done in Python: http://www.eclass.net/

But really the place where you'll get 100 suggestions is the h-edtech
mailing list, or search their archives:
http://www.h-net.org/~edweb/