[Edu-sig] re: Python as a first-year programming language

Kirby Urner urnerk@qwest.net
Thu, 08 May 2003 10:23:17 -0700

At 09:29 AM 4/28/2003 -0700, Kirby Urner wrote:

> >   - explanations of how it impacts later traditional computer science
> > courses, such as data structures and algorithms, operating systems,
> > graphics, etc.; there's FUD among some that teaching students a "weird"
> > language hurts them in later courses
> >
> > Toby
>
>Python is hardly weird.  It's rather straightforward and conservative, which
>is one of the things people like about it.  An agile language, high level and
>object oriented.  Weirder (but still fine languages, worthy of study) would
>be Haskell, Ocaml, Rebol and J.  Yet weird languages *are* used in the
>business community.  J for example:  lots of Wall Street types use it for
>financial analysis, along with it's older brother, APL.

Just found this apropos quote, in Aahz sig:

"In many ways, it's a dull language, borrowing solid old concepts from
many other languages & styles:  boring syntax, unsurprising semantics,
few automatic coercions, etc etc.  But that's one of the things I like
about it."  --Tim Peters on Python, 16 Sep 93

Kirby