[Edu-sig] An outline I'm using

Douglas S. Blank dblank@brynmawr.edu
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 15:30:58 -0500

Here's another data point: robotics. We've just released our version 1.0=20
of Python Robotics (see http://emergent.brynmawr.edu/wiki/index.cgi/Pyro=20
). I wasn't sure if Python would be fast enough to do "real" robotics,=20
but after building and testing, we found that we can get 10,000 updates=20
a second without OpenGL and 1,000 updates a second with it. Basically,=20
that's too fast as the hardware can't respond that quickly. Of course,=20
as we add more functionality (vision, neural networks, etc) it does slow=20
down a bit :)

But Python isn't just another language to do robotics: it has serious=20
consequences for allowing us to teach upper level artificial=20
intelligence and cognitive science courses (for example) to non-computer=20
science (and cs) students. We're designing a new computer science=20
curriculum around these ideas. We also do all of our real research with=20
these Python tools as well. The flexibility that Python provides allows=20
us to try things we would have never dreamed using just C++.

Here's a paper on the Python Robotics project:

Blank, D., Meeden, L., and Kumar, D. (2003). Python robotics: An=20
Environment for Exploring Robotics Beyond LEGOs. ACM Special Interest=20
Group: Computer Science Education Conference, Reno, NV (SIGCSE 2003).=20
Preprint: http://dangermouse.brynmawr.edu/papers/sigcse-03.pdf

and one of the curriculum design ideas:

Blank, D. and Kumar, D. (2002). Patterns of Curriculum Design.=20
Proceedings of Informatics Curricula, Teaching Methods and best practice=20
(ICTEM), Florian=F3polis, SC Brazil.=20
http://dangermouse.brynmawr.edu/papers/BlankKumar.ps

(it doesn't mention Python explicitly, but it is the facilitator=20
supporting these motivations).

If you want to share your presentation when you get it finished, it=20
would be a nice resource to have available.

-Doug

Kirby Urner wrote:
>=20
> Here's an outline I'm using to help prepare for a talk I'm giving on
> Python in Education in July of this year at OSCON (Open Source Conferen=
ce),
> which is here in Portland, Oregon this time.
>=20
> I'll be using PowerPoint of course, as well as Python in GUI shells
> (e.g. IDLE and PyCrust, maybe PythonCard if I can learn it in time).
>=20
> The outline below doesn't actually map out my talk -- it's more for
> background, to guide my information gathering.
>=20
> In the actual presentation, I'll have more focus on some specific uses =
of
> Python (e.g. Python + Povray).  Of course I'll have some screen shots
> (e.g. from PyGeo) to show what kinds of stuff goes on out there.
>=20
> Kirby
>=20
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D