[Edu-sig] constructive criticism sought (Rob Andrews)

ahimsa ahimsa@onetel.net.uk
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 19:30:51 +0000

Hello Rob

First, as an erstwhile 'consumer' of Useless Python, thanks for the work =
you=20
and now your volunteer team have done on that site. It's good fun to surf=
=2E

Second, by way of offering (hopefully) constructive criticism, kindly acc=
ept=20
the following points:

1. PLEASE remove it from yahoo! groups. I would be quite happy to volunte=
er=20
but was unhappy with going via yahoo to do so.
2. Rather than toss truly useless code (I think my few contributions have=
=20
probably landed in that bin!!), would it be possible to catalogue it and=20
remove duplicates. I suspect that many snippets of code are those done by=
=20
newbies (such as myself) who are working through tuts or text books, etc,=
 so=20
is likely to be replicated.
3. With the foregoing in mind however, if it is to be "Useless" Python, t=
hen=20
perhaps it could be graded because there is some pretty complex material =
on=20
the site last time I looked and then there is some pretty basic stuff too=
=2E It=20
would be a shame, I think, if the really basic stuff was elided by the=20
complex, not for any other reason than the sense of accomplishment a newb=
ie=20
might get surfing through and reading code that s/he can actually underst=
and=20
and even contribute to without feeling daunted/intimidated by really=20
elaborate/complex code. Let's face it, a certain % of that code is never=20
going to be worth anything, which surely is as good a definition of usele=
ss=20
as anything I've ever come across.

Third, look forward to seeing the new site once it is done and dusted. We=
ll=20
done Rob - it was a good idea, and I for one am happy that you continued =
with=20
it. Thanks.

Andrew