[Edu-sig] Pygame anyone?

Dethe Elza delza@blastradius.com
Wed, 30 Jul 2003 23:18:44 -0700

> Thanks for your interest Dethe.  It's a bit too much to post to this
> list
> (390 lines and counting), so I've put my recent playing around on the
> web
> at:  http://www.inetarena.com/~pdx4d/ocn/python/pygame/

Posting a link is fine, and often prefereable to inline code.  Python
especially doesn't always survive transit via email due to whitespace
and linebreak mangling.

> I've only tested it in Windows, so if you're doing the Linux thing, I'd
> be interested to know if everything works.  I was pretty liberal with
> comments, to help with learning (who knows when I might want to
> understand
> this again).

I'm doing the OS X thing, but I have the linux thing lying around too.
I'll kick the tires in both.

> I had Tara (9) looking over my shoulder as I coded some of this today.
> It was her idea to do 7 concentric circles using VIBGYOR (the colors
> of the rainbow).  I had to google for RGB values.  I didn't really
> explain what I was doing as I entered them in hex.

That's very cool.  I wrote a quick lookup for some basic hex values
years ago.  Dunno if it would be helpful, but it lives here:

http://delza.alliances.org/gifs/safecolors.html

It dates from the days when table support in browsers was new and
windows defaulted to 16 color mode.

> I'd be interested.  I have to see if VPython is working for me though.
> I'm using 2.3 and all my file associations point to 2.3.  The 2.2 stuff
> doesn't work very well.  That's a problem with Windows, makes it hard
> for several Pythons to co-exist.  But there's always using a different
> box!

I don't see a version of VPython for 2.3 yet.  It may take some time
for VPython to catch up.  I installed ActiveState's Python 2.2 on my
'doze box at work and VPython ran OK with it.  I hope someday VPython
actually runs on OS X (right now they've ported enough that it runs
under X on OS X which isn't the same thing at all).  PythonWare
distributes a Python for Windows which doesn't muck about with the
registry, so it's easy to have multiple installs.  Unfortunately, the
last version they packaged appears to be 2.1.

I'll put some of my half-baked projects on a server somewhere tomorrow
and post a link.

--Dethe