[Edu-sig] re: TeachScheme

Kirby Urner urnerk@qwest.net
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 07:59:32 -0700

At 09:30 AM 7/18/2003 -0500, Arthur wrote:

>"""
>You might want to compare the Python-in-education movement against the
>TeachScheme! project.  Software vs vaporware; full programming
>environment vs low-level interaction; detailed curriculum vs ad hoc
>programming; intellectual depth vs shallow hacking; five years vs
>nothing but announcements.
>
>You can guess which one is which.  And consider the harm done when
>people parrot the hype.
>"""
>Shriram Krishnamurthi

Yeah, he's been the most vocal anti-Python exponent (we've corresponded
in the past).  My attitude is grow the pie -- programming in education
means more room for all comers.

I don't find the PLT Scheme "full programming environment" to be all
that super advanced over whatever he means by "low-level interaction".
Maybe he hasn't seen Patrick's namespace aware PyAlaMode.

Kirby