[Edu-sig] re: Student teaching and tutorials

Arthur ajs@optonline.net
Wed, 09 Jul 2003 19:29:31 -0500

>I have searched for a while and the only one I could find >is TPF
http://gorny.cjb.net  The problem is its note even >commented

Took a quick look.
Introduction
Billy the Kid is a Python Extension Module providing you with all kinds of
more or less usefull stuff at the raw packet level. It allows you to create
raw UDP/TCP/ICMP packets and it also includes a nice interface to libpcap.
</quote>

The author is 18 years old.

Conrad,
If you understand what this (snotty kid ;) ) just said - you are way ahead
of me.  So I am certainly not the right guy to be advising you on networking
stuff.

But I do understand that this is an extension module for Python, written in
C. Not in Python. So please don't be intimidated by what you are seeing.

C is not for me.

But Lee's working demo of pygame in multi-player mode using Twisted - part
of pygear -  is where I intend to start - when I get around to tackling
networking with Python.

(And Lee thinks he's writing for kids).

So the advise I gave you, is the advise I am giving myself.

Lee seems to be looking for feedback.  Might be more meaningful from you,
then from someone like me.

Have you taken a look?  Does it seem to suit your needs, as a way to get
started in writing working code.

I sometimes think about learning how the pieces move, but then learning how
to *play chess*.

You want to start playing some chess, so to speak. I think Lee's book
understands that.

If indeed you are already beyond what Lee is teaching  you might dig into
the Twisted demos directly, perhaps.

http://twistedmatrix.com/

Twisted looks *extremely* well documented

Art