[Edu-sig] Python Media APIs

Jason Cunliffe Jason Cunliffe" <jason.cunliffe@verizon.net
Tue, 8 Jul 2003 14:56:24 -0400

> I just learned yesterday that
> even the latest Photoshop from Adobe has Python bindings, so you can
> script it.  Confirmation anyone?  Hands-on experience?  My Photoshop
> is too old.

Yes I remember posting ages ago about Python API for Photoshop..

"Writing Python Plug-ins for Adobe After Effects and Photoshop" by Grant J.
Munsey, Adobe Systems
O'Reilly Open Source Convention, July 23-27, 2001
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/os2001/view/e_sess/1327

It seems to have been a rather hidden project but not abandoned. Photoshop
now has an 'Actions' palette which is very useful and easy to use. Minimal
button and list based gui allows creation, editing and nesting of macros. I
am 99% sure however that 'Actions' are based on their earlier exploratory
Python API , but Adobe seem to have decided to keep 'programming' out of the
marketed scenario. "Look you can automate Photoshop with out having to be a
programmer" sort of attitude.

I have Photoshop 7.0 on Win32 but I can't see any Python interface right
now, nor mention in Help file.

I suggest also to check the mailing list: "PythonPhotoshop -- Python Actions
Plug-in for Adobe Photoshop Discussion "
http://opensource.adobe.com/mailman/listinfo/pythonphotoshop

Adobe have implemented Python API for After Effects, which is their other
essential media app. After Effects is at least an order of magnitude more
sophisticated than Photoshop, and because of its use for time/CPU-intensive
media composting for Film and TV, automation and smart batch handling are
essential.

Profound Effects are a company who sell an intermediary commercial product
around After Effects Python API called "Useful Things" - 'An infinite supply
of plug-ins' for Adobe® After Effects
http://www.profoundeffects.com/

Profound Effects is run by Perry Kivolowitz an old pro who started out doing
wonderful image batch processing for Amiga based on ARexx,  the superb
interprocess communication language bundled with all Amigas. ARexx fostered
wonderful scripting extensions to most applications and raised a generation
of savvy media interface programmers.

There are several commercial media software with Python APIs. The number
grows every day and docs and community along with it.
These are likely to be good job areas for Python programmers. Disney and ILM
have also chosen Python so ther must a lot of in-house work which may
someday surface. I have about posted Python media APIs here before. I hope
this short review is helpful to the list:

3D
PoserPro has Python API
Poser 4 required the ProPack for Python . I think the new Poser5 includes it
now. not sure. The docs are in transition.
http://www.curiouslabs.com/
http://www.mmhk.com/e/products/curiouslabs/poser4pp/p4pp-python.htm

Blender has Python API.
Nan, the Dutch development company suffered economic collapse. But happily
the Blender user community rallied, and raised some or all of the $100,000
dollars and blender was liberated as open source and free for ever! There
are currently good efforts to fully document and strengthen the Python API.
Not surprisingly Trojan horse of a scripting API cannot be kept secret too
long .Once inside the gates it starts to take over :-) Very popular in
Europe.
http://www.blender3d.com/
http://www.blender.org/
http://www.blender.org/modules/documentation/225PythonDoc/index.html

Caligari Truespace has  Python API.
I've not played seriously with Calgiari Truespace for many years and its
python interface has been on-again off again. I think its on-again since
http://www.caligari.com/

Python is becoming the default scripting language for many media, modeling
and animation apps. The only threat it faces is that so many software
companies are now understandably taking advantage of .NET It makes their
lives easier. Hopefully Python.NET will soon be ready for prime time also.

GIS
Manifold System has Python API [also thanks to my lobbying and their
listening]
Amazing value - only $245
http://manifold.net/products/mfd50pro/mfd50pro_home.html

Hipparchus will soon have Python API [also thanks to my lobbying and their
listening]
http://www.geodyssey.com/

-- Jason