[Edu-sig] A small essay in my own defense

Arthur ajs@optonline.net
Tue, 08 Jul 2003 09:52:39 -0500

A small essay in my own defense.

problem 1. I don't believe in CP4E.

Because "everyone" ain't interested or capable. Why be coercive and
unrealistic - out of the box? CP4E is, to me, just a marketing slogan and
IMO, a poorly chosen one.

problem 2. I insist that I should not feel inhibited in stating problem 1,
as I have.

On principal.

problem 3. I have no interest, stand-alone, as to the user count of Python
in the school systems.

I get no royalties.

problem 4. I am incredibly enthusiastic about the possiblities for the use
of Python as a catalyst for some changes in the way things are taught.

It is those changes that interest me, primarily, not the Python head count.

problem 5.  Any expectation that discussions can be had about education, in
general,  and education and technology in particular, circa 2003, clean of
"politics" is an unrealistic expectation.

And its own form of politics.

problem 6. I am glad Python is not Rebol, and hope (and am confident) it
will remain not so..

Art