[Edu-sig] re: Where mathematics comes from

Arthur Arthur" <ajs@ix.netcom.com
Sun, 26 Jan 2003 20:27:13 -0500

>After reading the introduction, I jumped to the four appendices
>where the equation

>e^(pi)i = -1

15 ways of looking at a blackbird.

I see a half-turn around the unit circle on the complex plane, with 1+0j as
the starting point. That is, we a pointing to a point  (-1,0) on  the
complex plane, by way of its polar coordinates.

e is a numerical value - the numerical value that makes this so.

Not fully satisfactory, by any means, but is a step toward a geometric
approach.

PyGeo's new version has does alot with the exploration of the geometry of
complex numbers.