[Edu-sig] re:PyGeo distribution progress.

Arthur Arthur" <ajs@ix.netcom.com
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 14:43:36 -0500

>So if I understand correctly, Art, you've switched to distutils and that's
the
>GOOD news. Well done And thanks :-)

Just cockily answered a disutils question of someone of python-list, as a
matter of fact.

And even might have given him the right answer.

>But the bad news is VPython is now out of sync,

Always has been, to an extreme degree.

> and needs its installation to be updated for everyone's sanity. What's the
status on that happening?

I pointed out to Sherwood that the overwrite of Python index.html file was
totally and easily avoidable.  Since he is distributing his own IDLE, all he
had to do is have that IDLE point to, let's say, a v_index.html.

That way I (and the rest of the universe) get the Help screen we want and
expect when we go to help when using the regular IDLE interactively. And his
students get the help screen *he* wants them to get when they go to help
from the VPython IDLE.

It couldn't be simpler and more straight forward.

He refused.

I could say a lot more.

Folks are uncomforatble with me speaking my mind to the extent I fell
comfortable doing.  I always think doing so is a good thing. Maybe I'm
wrong.  So I'll pass on saying more on the subject.

>Can anyone fix VPython? Are the installation problems/violations now
recognized by its authors?

I'm proceedding to work on my own VPython distro - using distutils, and
handling it "as if" there were might be other uses for Python other than to
script Mr. Sherwood's students pictures.

Art