[Edu-sig] PyGeo distribution progress.

Kirby Urner urnerk@qwest.net
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 10:34:05 -0800

At 09:52 AM 1/19/2003 -0500, Arthur wrote:

>And then include my own VPython installation with PyGeo.
>
>Don't know  a lot about these licensing things, but if VPython can offer a
>Numeric distribution that "mangles" its distribution, I can only assume that
>I am within my rights to do something similar as to VPython.

I hope so.  I agree that VPython is annoyingly out of compliance
with the standards, when it comes to installation.  I don't know
if the new IDLE coming in 2.3 is going to solve the runtime
issues which led VPython to go its own way with IDLE, but if
it does, then I'm looking forward to a streamlined VPython which
goes into site-packages where it belongs -- maybe a year from
now?

>The best choice, as far as I am confirmed, is to have VPython comply to with
>some reasonable standards.  Apparently not in the cards.

Didn't the VPython people get some huge grant to make it even
more whiz bang?  Seems making it a better citizen, when it comes
to installation, might be a part of that package.  Or maybe
I'm just day dreaming.

Kirby