[Edu-sig] Independent study topic?

Dennis E. Hamilton dennis.hamilton@acm.org
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 21:35:14 -0800

If you are leaning toward Concrete Mathematics, I would recommend that you
begin with Knuth's "The Art of Computer Programming," vol.1 - Fundamental
Algorithms.  It is not so purely mathematical and applies the mathematics.
I also recommend it for the numerous worked exercises of rated difficulty.
This will provide many more opportunities for structuring and managing your
self-study, and also telling how well you are doing.

The application to the analysis of algorithms is the next great part.

If you don't like the idea of learning the MIX machine (which you don't
*have* to learn to get value from the books), you might get on Knuth's Web
sites and take a look at the modern machine MMIX,

	http://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~knuth/mmix.html

Also, you might find an opportunity to be one of the people that reviews and
converts exercises for this new machine.

Finally, if you want more mathematically-oriented algorithms, you can take a
look at the work being done on Volume 4,

	http://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~knuth/taocp.html#vol4

which includes many modern areas of computational and algorithmic
development.

-- orcmid

Dennis E. Hamilton
http://NuovoDoc.com/