[Edu-sig] Python, Povray anhd the Universe

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sat Dec 20 09:17:31 EST 2003

Got to love Mark Shuttleworth:

The South African entrepreneur and space explorer:
"""
He was a member of the crew of Soyuz TM-34, launched from Baikonur in
Kazakhstan and docked with the International Space Station two days later.
"""

His foundation helps finance Python education related projects:

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/bounty.html

All well-known, I think, within the Python community at this point.

But...

Every few months I check into www.povray.org for a look see as to what is
happening in the Povray world. On a whim, did so this morning, Might have
otherwise passed over this, had I not began to understand who Shuttleworth
is.

See:
"POV-Ray at the International Space Station"
http://www.povray.org/news/index.php#79

This "Reach for the Stars" rendering:

http://www.povray.org/posters/

was not designed by Shuttleworth, but was rendered by him while in orbit.

Those of us who are fans of Python and povray and opensource technology and
education and the intersection of all these things have to be intrigued by
this guys focus.