[Edu-sig] Soya 3D library

Dethe Elza dethe.elza at blastradius.com
Tue Dec 9 16:42:52 EST 2003

I don't recall seeing this before.

via Daily Python-URL:

http://oomadness.tuxfamily.org/en/soya/index.html

<quote>
oya 3D is a high-level 3D engine for Python, designed with games in
mind.
Soya is written partly in Python and partly in C; our goal is to
provide a full architecture for making free (GPL) game of professionnal
quality entirely in Python.
Other tools, in the same spirit, will follow (watch for a network game
engine soon !).

3D rendering relies on OpenGL, and setting up on SDL.

The engine is fully object oriented, high level (even more than
traditional "scene graphs") and practical.
</quote>

There are windows binaries (which don't help me any) and source.  I
haven't gotten the source up and running on OS X yet, but I'll look
into it further.  This looks like an interesting alternative to VPython
and Blender.

--Dethe

"All spiritual paths have four steps: show up, pay attention, tell the
truth, and don't be attached to the results."  Angeles Arien