[Edu-sig] Teaching Python in adult ed course

Kirby Urner urnerk at qwest.net
Thu Dec 4 11:46:55 EST 2003

> Does anyone in the group have experience with teaching Python this way?
> Are there other resources I should consider? Any insight into what might
> motivate an adult to start learning to program?
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Kent

A person who signs up for an 8 week class is presumably somewhat motivated
to learn programming.

I'd try to get a sense from your students whether they already have some
strong leanings/interests and focus on giving them the tools to develop in
that direction.

Those getting the most benefit will be those using time *between* meetings
to self-teach as much as possible.

I'd stress that whereas class time is potentially a big help, learning to
programming, like learning to play the piano, is ultimately something you
must do on your own, through practice.