[Edu-sig] computational literacy calcsheet

Jason Cunliffe jason.cunliffe at verizon.net
Wed Aug 27 16:35:54 EDT 2003

USA Inc. is spending $1 billion each week for their mad war.
That's $1653 per second = street price of a superb new 3Ghz laptop computer.

In 1 year, at the present Shrub spending rates, we could buy new computers
for 31,536,000 children/people. I imagine if one placed an federal order for
31 million laptops you'd get a good deal.
So perhaps 50 million kids this year.

I know you can't eat computers, and they won't give you clean water or
electricity. I am am not saying its necessarily the answer to anything..

But seriously, what do you suppose the local/global impact of a such project
would be if done right?
What kind of 21st century open democracy do you think  this might seed?
What else would be needed to make sense of such proposal?

I'd set aside part of the budget to make sure all these new 3Ghz ALTRUONS
 PCs are bundelled new version of Trevor Bayliss built-in clock-work power
supplies.

http://www.freeplay.net/website/product/freecharge.php

http://www.ogormans.co.uk/Bayliss.htm
http://www.woe.edu.pl/2000/4_00/tune.html
http://www.britishcouncil.org/science/science/personalities/text/ukperson/ba
ylis.htm

and of course wireless network powered by solar backup systems

 - Jason
Jason Cunliffe [NOMADICS: Director art+design]
Tel/fax: +1 718 422-1078 jasonic at nomadics.org
N 43:00.000' W 074:31.875' ALT:1144 ft
84 Henry Street #3C Brooklyn  NY 11201     USA
http://tranzilla.net/.v