[Edu-sig] re screaming server syndrome

Kirby Urner urnerk at qwest.net
Fri Aug 22 21:08:50 EDT 2003

At 02:16 AM 8/22/2003 +0200, ANTIGEN_DVNTEX01 wrote:
>Antigen for Exchange found document_9446.pif infected with
>Win32/Sobig.F.Trojan (CA(InoculateIT),Sophos,CA(Vet)) worm.
>The message is currently Purged.  The message, "Re: That movie", was
>sent from Edu-sig at python.org and was discovered in IMC Queues\Inbound
>located at Devote/Bunnik/DVNTEX01.

Ahhhh, not here too!

pydotorg is currently a vast echo chamber of servers-on-autopilot
screaming at each other about finding a virus.

Seems a lot of them regurgitate the offending attachment in the
process, sending it back to the list -- which just sets up the
chorus of screams for another round.  Seems to be a semi-infinite
loop.

Result:  over 1800 screams in under 24 hours.  My ISP sent me
warnings that I was over my 10 megabyte mail queue limit.

Let's just pray that edu-sig doesn't fall victim to the
"screaming server syndrome" as well.