[Edu-sig] re: finer code

Lee Harr missive at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 15 21:48:23 EDT 2003

>can anyone direct me to some finely written code which is well documented.
>checked on vualts of parnassus but had no idea on what to look for.

The python standard library is the set of modules, functions, and classes
that
come with the python distribution.  If you can start python and do something
like:

>>>import csv
>>>dir(csv)
['Dialect', 'DictReader', 'DictWriter', 'Error', 'QUOTE_ALL',
'QUOTE_MINIMAL', 'QUOTE_NONE', 'QUOTE_NONNUMERIC', 'Sniffer', 'StringIO',
'__all__', '__builtins__', '__doc__', '__file__', '__name__', '__version__',
'excel', 'excel_tab', 'get_dialect', 'list_dialects', 're', 'reader',
'register_dialect', 'unregister_dialect', 'writer']
>>>help(csv)

You are well on your way to finding some finely written code. The code is
already
there on your system. You just need to find it.

To find the code from this example, you need to search for csv.py

How you do that depends on your operating system. On windows you could try
Start -> Find files and folders

I would say that much of the code in the standard library is probably
"advanced"
but it is also definitely the good stuff.