[Edu-sig] Re: [Visualpython-users] Close, but no cigar

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sat Aug 9 21:43:20 EDT 2003

>Bruce simply does not see any significance to the interactive prompt.

>Incredibly. He states so repeatedly.

All the more incredible, to me, because - particularly for teaching -
VPython's ability to function directly at the interactive prompt is one of
its more incredible features.

I worked hard to reconfigure PyGeo, in its latest version. to be able to
take full advantage of this capacity of VPython's.  Simply took me a while
to figure out how to do so.

So the argument is not purely theoretical, and not purely as an observer.
*I* want IDLE to start up interactively, and have every intention of
overriding Bruce's override in a PyGeo distro.

I simply can't stomach to reply directly to Bruce's comments about the
"data"  supporting his view - in light, among other things,  of the div
operator argument background, where his "data" seemed to be so influential.

He knows full well he can support that "data" with two sentences of
instructions to his students, to get them where we feels they need to be
when opening IDLE.  Rather than effecting all kinds of peoples who's needs
are quite different (stating generously that Bruce correctly perceives the
needs, and the importance of those needs, of his users).

This is silly stuff, really. And always has been.

But its hard to laugh.