[Edu-sig] Re: [Visualpython-users] Close, but no cigar

Bruce Sherwood basherwo at unity.ncsu.edu
Sat Aug 9 20:45:13 EDT 2003

I'd be happy to change the name of the desktop icon. It could still be
called "IDLE for VPython" instead of "IDLE for Python". Would that be
preferable? I thought it important to have a desktop icon, because the
"IDLE (Python GUI)" menu item is buried so very deeply in the Start
menu. Where it should start isn't so clear; "IDLE (Python GUI)" starts
in C:\Python23, which is moderately inappropriate too. A more neutral
starting point would be My Documents. But as you say, labeling it for
VPython would seem to be better than what I did.

I'm not ecstatic about completely overwriting config-main.def. It would
be better for the VPython installer to edit that file, and for PyGeo
also to edit that file (e.g. adding an entry for the PyGeo help). Does
anyone know how to do this kind of thing in the context of an installer?
(I'm using Inno Setup.) I did think I'd covered the problems by
prominently stating what the installer does, and inviting sophisticated
users to make adjustments if they wish.

I'm not sure I understand the distutils issues you're raising. Are you
saying that I should be using distutils, or are you saying that you
understand why I can't use this mechanism, but wish it were possible?

Bruce Sherwood