[Edu-sig] re: Close, but no cigar

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sat Aug 9 20:24:48 EDT 2003

Also as to the VPython distro:

Guido has unambigiously stated a strong preference that IDLE start in
interactive mode. (He can correct me if I am wrong).

>From my point of view, as the stated preference of the Developer of IDLE
(not the BDFL) , I would and will respect that preference.

Bruce simply does not see any significance to the interactive prompt.

Incredibly. He states so repeatedly.

The VPython distro - despite, I think, Bruce knowing full well Guido 's
preference - imposes his own preference on the One And Only IDLE, over
Guido's.

So after the VPython install, the One and Only IDLE starts up as a text
editor.  And will do so forever for any user who does not understand the
fact that there is an ability to reset the default back to where it
started - Interactive Mode.  In other words, precisely the user for whom
Guido, it seems to me, feels it important that the Interactive Mode be
default.

Guido wrote the foundation code. David Scherer, Kurt Kaiser , and others
made significant contributions to its development.

Bruce - always, it seem to me, for good reason - pisses me off.