[Edu-sig] re: CP4E-2002

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 08:22:05 -0400

> I wonder why Paperts approach with turtle-graphics doesn't play a
> more prominent role in these discussions nowadays. (In my opinion it
> could be fruitful to integrate it better in efforts using Python in
> education.)

Turtle graphics were appropriate given the capacity of the hardware
and software environment at the time Logo was developed.  These days,
the equivalent is much more flashy, but the idea is the same: visual
output is wonderfully attractive.  Various groups are using virtual
reality, game development or other 3D graphics backends that are
controlled by simple statements in the student's program.  Alice was
one example of this; VPython is another.  I expect there are more.
(Jeff Elkner is a rare exception in this space. :-)

> I for my part, besides doing some courses for teachers here in
> Vienna, I am involved in the process of writing a textbook about
> programming with Python for Kids, in German. Hope to give it a push
> here, this way.

Wonderful!  Keep us posted!  Make sure it it mentioned on the Python
website once it's available!!!