[Edu-sig] re: CP4E-2002

Arthur ajs@ix.netcom.com
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 17:14:23 -0400

Jason asks -

>Relative to your original CP4E grant proposal where you think Python stands
now?
>If we were writing a CP4E-2002 proposal what would be the key points?

I realize that you question is to Guido and I am quite sure I am not him.

But I am in a *very* talkative mood today.

What I would hope Guido might do is one of two things.

Withdraw the proposal.  There is simply no evidence of which I am aware that
children have the cognitive capacity to do anything that is properly called
programming - depending of course, and this is the key to it all, on how one
defines the term programming and who one considers a child. Under my
definitions, we have a no go. I certainly do not blame that reality on
Guido. But nor do I expect him to have the capacity to change it.

Else,

Define the terms carefully.  What do we mean by "programming" when we are
talking about what it is that we hope to be able to expose to children.
What Guido and Tim do? Obviously not.  What I do? I humbly suggest not. What
my son did at 7 or 8 with his more education video games?  SimCity, e.g.
Maybe. In which case there is *lots* going on out there, and it is
presumptous to think that Python is bringing anything radically new to the
table.

So to me the question has always been moving clearly past semantics, to a
clear definiton of terms and expectations.Don't think that happened very
well the first time around.

Art