[Edu-sig] 'Leo' => folding editor for Literate Programming

Arthur ajs@ix.netcom.com
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 23:30:58 -0400

Jason -

> Yes. But but besides the exisiting professsional needs of large coding
projects,
> I do believe Leo offers a valuable emerging new paradigm, one which may
find its
> best home with beginners and people in small collaborative groups.

We, on the surface, at least, seem to  have a tempermental difference.  I
guess I need to feel that I have outgrown the old paradigms before I go
searching for new ones with too much vigor.  Don't give myself that much
credit.

Geometry is about as old a paradigm as there gets.  It seems to have kept me
busy enough for  a good stretch now.  I espouse a paradigm of sitting down
with compass and ruler and doing Euclid - soup to nuts. As a start.

I love a good compass - especially the older ones, with nibs for ink.

<snip>

> The best argument I can make for LEO-like interfaces is that in the
*right*
> hands they can improve thinking, design, understanding and presentation.

Not arguing - though it sounds like I am, probably.  L:eo looks intriguing.
If I had the time, I'd defintiely look at it more closely - and hope that at
some point I will.

Unfortunately there are many such things on my list.

Heady times we live in.

Art

> It will take time to get these tools into a really good balance netween
power
> and simplicity. The fist adn 2nd generation of Web development has sadly
sold
> people on an extremely chaotic model where linsk typically take you *away*
from
> the context. The rapid growth of Community Wikis alongside individual
Blogs show