[Edu-sig] 'Leo' => folding editor for Literate Programming

Arthur ajs@ix.netcom.com
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 21:53:43 -0400

Jason writes:

>Leo seems destined for Python classroom use & curricula design.
>I see mention of upcoming wxWindows version of Leo

Not sure I agree.  From a Slashdot article included in the Leo docs,

"""Hello, my full name is David Speed Ream. I am known as Speed to friends
and enemies alike, but I gladly answer to David or most any other handle. I
am an unabashed and biased fan of Leo, the fact that it was written by my
brother Edward only slightly coloring my already colored glasses.
<snip>
For me, Leo's greatest and only real drawback is the learning curve."""

The article seems to position Leo as a serious production programmers tool.
A learning curve it seems to me worth tackling after one has become a
serious enough programmer.

Can't help using myself as an example.  My position has been that time that
might be spent learning programming tools is much better spent, at my stage
of things, learning programming. And I am pretty well convinced that the
type, cut, paste and run text editor with which I have become somewhat
facile is all the tool I need at this point.

Nor will I let myself buy new golf clubs til I break 90 with some
consistency.  Because I know the clubs ain't the problem, and only when I
become better will I be able to take advantage of what is better about
better clubs.

Art