[Edu-sig] python lessons

Jason Cunliffe Jason Cunliffe" <jasonic@nomadics.org
Sun, 8 Sep 2002 15:52:04 -0400

> i was wonderin if you know of any python lessons for my age. I'm 15 years old
and I live in Westchester NY

Hi Eric

Q1. Are you looking live classes or tutors?
Q2  ..Or are you looking for self-teaching course material, such as book+CD +web
+ video?
Q3: What is your level?  Are you a beginner? Have you done any programming, if
so what ?

There is very clear book+CD series on programming by Deitel. They publish one
dedicated to Python:
Although not intended for business, I think the series might also be suitable
for you. For a single book for self-teaching Python for beginners, I don't think
you can do any better. Deitel have a multimedia CD course now for Python.
Perhaps that is what you are looking for..

See the Python books right at the bottom of the page
http://deitel.com/books/index.html
You can download sample chapters

Python How to Program (With CD-ROM)
by Harvey M. Deitel, Paul J. Deitel, B. A. Wiedermann, Jonathan P. Liperi
ISBN: 0130923613
[published 2002]

or from Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0130923613/104-1198719-6481569

..and here is the new multimedia CD course based on that book:

The Complete Python Training Course
ISBN: 013063765
[published 2002]
Includes Python How to Program and the Python Multimedia Cyber Classroom
(interactive CD ROM)

http://vig.prenhall.com/catalog/academic/product/1,4096,0130673757,00.html

The Deitel books seem very expensive, but are much better value than most
computer books.
They are very well written, with very clear steps to build skills and
understanding.

There are other excellent Python books. But the Deitel series is unique because
the writers run a full time training business. They know how to pace topics and
structure the material for classroom. That means good notes throughout, short
description of key points and principles, end of chapter summary, exercises
[with answers].

All Python examples are color highlighted which makes it much easier to follow
the code. The books are tightly structured with many numbered sub-sections,
supported  by a strong index at the back to help find things.

I don't have the Deitel Python book, but I have another one in the same series
titled:
"Internet & World Wide Web: How to Program".
Besides covering a huge amount, it starts with the absolute basics, and never
assumes one knows anything. But it never talks down and moves along very
quickly. I also like it because it introduces several languages and offers
parallel examples in them: Python, Perl, PHP, JavaScript, ASP, Java. Great use
of color: illustrations [diagrams, screenshots] and color type thoughout.
Recommended.

hope this helps
good luck
./Jason