[Edu-sig] java vs. python....

Ronald Mangaliag rmangaliag@mbox.slu.edu.ph
Sat, 07 Sep 2002 17:04:40 +0800 (PHT)

thanks kirby....

i'm in the process of making a simple database project to be run in a local
server...

no one uses python here... i guess, i'm the only one... :)

i would like to have some "bullets" or facts to convince them to use python on
the server side instead of java servlets...

our main concern right now is the security of python in a networked
environment... i am new to python and certainly new to java...

what could be my guidelines so that at least i can convince them to use
python... though i'm a certified pythoniac... i really need resources to
convince my colleagues...

thanks in advance...

Quoting Kirby Urner <urnerk@qwest.net>:

> At 01:59 PM 9/7/2002 +0800, Ronald Mangaliag wrote:
> >i dont really know if this is the proper forum... but forgive me for
> this
> >question...
> >
> >security wise, which one is better... java or python???
>
> Depends in part what you mean by security.  Some kinds of security
> are more the responsibility of the operating system kernel than
> the responsibility of any particular process designed for user
> space.
>
> Certainly Java has lots more built in security classes, inherited
> by the Applet class and so on.  It was designed from the ground up
> to allow clients to safely download and run code over the internet.
>
> One shouldn't be lulled into complacency though:  standalone Java
> programs have as much power to be malicious as any.  That's where
> a certification authority comes in:  you want to know where a
> program came from, and whether to trust this source, before you
> give it the OK to run on your CPU.
>
> But maybe that's not what you meant be security.
>
> If you're running your programs on the server side, then Python
> may be the way to go.
>
> Python is often used in-house, where employees mostly trust one
> another not to be malicious.  If you mangle class methods or
> properties to make them private, it's more to make the code
> readable/understandable, than it is to frustrate some would-be
> cracker.
>
> Kirby

ronald ali l. mangaliag
computer applications department