[Edu-sig] Good Book Harvest=>" Andew Glassner's Other Notebook"

Jason Cunliffe Jason Cunliffe" <jasonic@nomadics.org
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 11:16:23 -0400

Well here's another Summer 2002 edu-sig book gem:

Andrew Glassner's Other Notebook

Further Recreations in Computer Graphics  -  A practical guide to creative
activities using computer graphics
http://glassner.com/andrew/writing/books/other-notebook.htm

Beautifully conceived, illustrated and written.

Andrew Glassner is well know for his "Graphic Gems" series.

It's rare to find a book which is so encouraging, helpful and facinating on
computer graphics, yet without ever being sacrificed to local amming language
dogma. This is above all about exploring the real world. Part of our 'real'
world now includes computer graphics. The never loses sight of the wonderful
scope between observation, analysis, synthesis and simulation.
You could build and an entire course around this lucid book - and Python with
its CLI and various graphics toolkits would be ideal [LightFlow, VPython etc..
the usual culprits]

Here's two quick excerpts from the intro:

"One of the things I find most appealing about computer graphics is that it's a
gateway for discovering all sorts of other subjects. From the structure of soap
bubbles, to quantum computations, there are fascinating  things going on in the
world everywhere we look.

Computer Graphics is a new medium in several ways. One of the most exciting of
its new abilities is that computer-based artistic tools allow us to turn back
time and split the universe.
... I find this ability to save every version of my images and programs, and
turn back time on a whim, has completely changed how I  think about making
images and inventing algorithms. Choices are no longer so drastic, so I don't
have to fret about whether or not to take a risk. If something seems like a good
idea, there's no reason not to pursue it except for the time it takes to try it
out. I get to be more playful and intuitive..."

Lots more here:
http://glassner.com/
http://glassner.com/andrew/cg/graphics.htm

./Jason
Jason Cunliffe [NOMADICS: Director art+design]
Tel/fax: +1 718 422-1078 jasonic@nomadics.org
N 43:00.000' W 074:31.875' ALT:1144 ft
84 Henry Street #3C Brooklyn  NY 11201     USA