[Edu-sig] re: Slighly OT: O'Reilly article [other resources for newbies?]

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 15:03:28 -0700 (PDT)

> I feel that navigation is the second weakest element of the site, and
> have been giving a lot of thought to how to address the matter without
> messing up the experience too much. The site's single greatest point of
> weakness is that it lacks automation and is maintained manually by one
> person. Automating the site could well be the means to resolving both
> the navigation and management issues.

I wish I knew more Zope to help out here; I'm still trying to get my head
around it.  But from what I understand, perhaps Zopifying Useless Python
may help with the content-management side of things!

> The tricky part is that the original design concept was indeed for the
> user to rummage through the randomly-ordered source files. This didn't
> seem as problematic when there were only a few dozen source files, but
> with the next major update the number should increase to well over 200.
> At this size, I can certainly understand the frustrations expressed by a
> few. (Fewer than half a dozen to date, including today's comments.)

I know it's heretical to look at what the Perl folks are doing, but I
can't help it.  *grin*

The Perl folks have a site called http://www.perlmonks.org that combines
aspects of both the Tutor mailing list and Useless Python.  It's a large
repository for Perl knowledge.

It might be nice to see what things perlmonks is doing right, and see if
we can apply those things to Useless Python.