[Edu-sig] re: Slighly OT: O'Reilly article [other resources for newbies?]

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 17:07:54 -0400

> > > Would it be good to put Useless Python on the Newbies page too?
> > >
> > >     http://uselesspython.com
> >
> > Sorry, it doesn't really strike me as a strong newbie resource.
>
> Since it has come up....
>
> Would it be a strong newbie resource if improved in certain ways? Or
> is it just not a great idea?
>
> Useless Python has received a few hundred "thanks for existing"
> email messages from newbies, despite what I consider to be
> grossly-inadequate management on my own part. This is the reason the
> site remains in place so far.
>
> Since the site is an out-of-pocket expense stemming from my love of
> the language, I would appreciate constructive advice.

I think the idea is great, but the presentation is a bit offputting.
I realize that that may be part of the gimmick of the site -- but
still...  E.g. What's with the 16 numbered lists?  How am I supposed
to navigate my way around there?  Just click random links until
something useful pops up?  Etc.  Maybe you can make the home page a
bit more useful for first-time visitors.

PS if I don't respond further, it's because I'm about to disappear for
a week.