[Edu-sig] re: Types and true division (was Re: strange output

Arthur ajs@ix.netcom.com
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 21:15:07 -0400

>I conclude that you don't yourself understand the importance of typing,
>or you wouldn't wish div to remain so ambiguous.

Conclude what you like.

After you understand my position.

Python, I thought, was always interested in the practical outcome rather
than theoretical purity. Which is why my mind does shut off I bit when you
and Guido and Tim explain to me the *real* reason the div operator had to
change.  It's theoretical "right". I'm sure.  Its symetrical, and all that.
Does it help someone trying to get a handle on things? How?

My position has *no* theoretical basis.  Beyond the fact that - and please
don't jump all over me if there is something technical amiss in this
wording - it better exposes the reality of what we are dealing with (a
pretty thin wrapper around standard C, no?).

And that is only my attempt to say in higher falutin language, that my point
is experiental - not theoretical.  And not unlikely wrong.  Which you are
well entitled to tell me. But I will definitely take it better if I think
you have first taken in the practical point I am making.

Michael did.

You haven't.

Art