[Edu-sig] re: Types and true division (was Re: strange output

Arthur ajs@ix.netcom.com
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 11:47:18 -0400

Me:

>>Simply, clearly, and undisputably.

Kirby:
>You're talking about some remarks in the VPython docs yes?

To continue a monolgue that I agree is absolutely pointles, but at the same
time can, if one chooses to see it as such, is also absolutely harmless:

No, Kirby.

I am referencing the fact that the original PEP spoke *only* of the newbie
issue.

But more importantly I am referencing the fact that Guido in the course of
the discussion referenced the work of Pausch and Sherwood, quite
specifically and on numerous occassions and in a way that indicated that to
him it provided what amounted to a scientific basis for a conclusion that
the change was necessary and important to be made on behalf of newbies.

I am referencing the fact that after all the contentious debate, the
announcment of the fact that it was a (near) done deal came in the form of
an announcement by Guido that he was sending over a patch to Bruce Sherwood
effectuating the change so that Bruce would no longer need to maintain a
forked Python. Which BTW Sherwood in fact never did, to my knowledge.

I am repeating the fact that in the course of the debate Guido specifically
responded a post of mine by pointing to the Sherwood classroom experience as
*proof* - as in science - that whatever Guido might have thought my point
was, it was groundless

Why clutter up the list with quotes and links. It's all there on the record.

I quite believe Tim that that was not the substance of *his* discussions on
the matter with Guido.

So?

Art