[Edu-sig] re: Types and true division (was Re: strange outp

Arthur ajs@ix.netcom.com
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 13:54:31 -0400

>But I take the point that you disagree with me.

The more important point actually, is that no where have I argued that my
point is the killer argument that negates the ultimate sensibility of the
change that was decided upon.

I do think it is a point with enough merit to be considered along side the
"it don't work like a calculator" argument - and achieve at least a wash.
And even that is just an opinion.

And the only reason to discuss it, is in the context of diminishing returns
for changes to the language that cater to the out-of-the box expectations of
the non-programmer.  It's simply much more complicated than that -
experientially.

And I am hoping that Guido might include within his purview first hand
reports, rather than second and third  - as these issues arise in the
future.

Where such reports are available.

Art