[Edu-sig] using Python for a CS 2 course

Beth Platt bplatt@emerson-school.org
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 17:47:02 -0500

I realize this doesn't help you at all being that my students are 15 years
younger than yours, but I use the deitel book in my elementary and middle
school python classes and they LOVE it. It has great code examples. You
might find the first chapters too simple for a CS 2 course, but I found the
entire book appeals to both beginners and more advanced students. Several of
my friends (phd students and phd's in CS) love to borrow it. And those
students who had a difficult time catching it the first time will find the
book useful.  It does tackle XML quite a bit, which my students find boring
next to "games! games! games!"

Now if I could only get Tkinter to work I'd have heck of an example of
python being used to it's fullest in the educational sector. There's nothing
cuter than a 10 year old trying to say "guido van rossum!"