[Edu-sig] Re: [Tutor] Fun geometry w/ Python's help [geometry and PyMol?]

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 13:44:42 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Kirby Urner wrote:

> Here's a POV-Ray graphic [1] I generated earlier today
> using Python to write the script:
>
> http://www.inetarena.com/~pdx4d/ocn/graphics/w1000.gif
>
> What we're seeing are balls in a cubic close packing (ccp)
> out to distance sqrt(1000) from the origin.  Color coding
> indicates different distances, with orange balls being
> at maximum distance.[3]

Hi Kirby,

This is very cool!

By the way, during the recent BayPiggies meeting two days ago, I got my
first glance at PyMol:

    http://pymol.sourceforge.net/

This program allows one to build molecular models in real time.  I was
stunned to see how the program would allow me to pull and tug on the
atoms, and have the whole structure warp and stretch.  Tinker toys on a
mass scale.  I felt like a little kid again.  *grin*

Perhaps there might be something in PyMol that could be useful for the
geometrical programs that you've been working on.

Good luck to you.